Okay, my picture posted sideways, but you can still get the general idea of the result of the rug I made with the t-shirt yarn I wrote about in this post.
I had 13 balls of yarn, I cut the strips about one inch wide, and I think I used size 17 needles, but I don’t recall exactly. I cast on until my rug was about 20 inches wide, and just knitted until I ran out of yarn.
There were a few issues. First, one of the t-shirts had seams on the sides, and that made both the knitting a little more difficult and the result a little less smooth. If you decide to make t-shirt yarn, I recommend you avoid t-shirts with seams. Second, that same t-shirt seemed to coat my needles with some kind of weird sticky substance which meant the yarn didn’t slide on the needles well. I’m not sure what the deal was, since I was pretty sure all shirts were clean, and this was the only one that did that. The substance rubbed off easily, so when I moved on to the next ball, it was no big deal. Also, you may notice that the sides of the rug aren’t very even; this is caused by differences in the thickness of the yarn. I probably could have measured more carefully, to make sure that all my strips were more uniform. As it was, I placed a ruler on the shirt, snipped every inch, and then just eyeballed the cuts. So it probably wasn’t super accurate. Secondly, the t-shirts were of different fabric thicknesses. I don’t know why I didn’t think about that, but I think it made a difference. Naturally, a thinner shirt will knit up smaller than a thicker one. For those two reasons, the rug doesn’t look very even. If I wash it and block it, I may be able to make it more uniform; I may try that in the next week or so.
But there it is. All in all, I was pleased with it. And my dog Gryffon likes it; I often see him lying on it instead of the hardwood floor. He likes a comfy spot.