Over the past four or five months, I’ve had three interviews for teaching positions. While I’m still technically waiting to hear back on the most recent one, I’m pretty sure I didn’t get it.
But there was something different about that last interview as compared to the other two. What was it? A lack of desperation. In the previous months, I’d been feeling so unhappy in my current job that I felt I’d do almost anything to get out. And when those jobs didn’t pan out, it was very disappointing. In the last couple of weeks, however, Chef and I made a plan, and it has helped me to be… well, not happy where I am, but content to wait, at least.
It all started when I had a meeting with a potential future employer. See, the company I work for (Company A) will no longer exist in a few months, and the doctors who own it are going to work for another medical practice (Company B.) A few days before Christmas, I went to meet with the office manager at Company B to discuss possible positions for me there, because the doctors at Company A assured me I would have a position there. The office manager gave me a rough description of what she envisioned me doing, a vague idea of benefits, and no clear understanding of salary. I went home and Chef asked me the details. I told him what I knew, and I said, “I don’t want to work there.” It wasn’t because Company B is a terrible place to work. It might even be better than working for Company A. But the bottom line is that I don’t like sitting in front of a computer all day. I don’t enjoy working with the general public. And I don’t like being in the medical field.
Then my husband asked me, “Would you rather temp than work there?”
“I’d rather substitute teach,” I replied, not because I think subbing would be so wonderful, but because it would be one step closer to getting a job in education.
He thought about it a minute, and said, “Well, it would definitely be nice to have you home earlier in the evenings and to have more vacation time.” True that.
We decided to think about it a while. If this is what we decided to do, how soon could I give my notice? Would we have adequate income to get us through until I found a full-time position? We especially needed to consider that there will be no subbing jobs in the summer, though there might summer jobs I could get.
As I lay in bed thinking about it, I felt like God asked me, “Will you trust me?” And it seemed like that was a nudge to forgo the secure path of sure employment and take a risk with the subbing.
Still, we wanted to be smart about it. So here’s the plan we hatched: We’ll slow down on the debt pay-off, and work on getting at least three months’ worth of expenses in our savings account. As soon as that’s done, I’ll turn in my notice and get outta there. In the meantime, I’ll submit my teacher’s license and substitute teacher application to the school system in my town and let them know I’m available on Wednesdays (my existing day off from my job). Any money made from subbing can then go directly toward the emergency fund so that I can quit more quickly.
What a relief. So when I was at that last job interview, I just thought that really, God’s in charge of all this. He asked me to trust him, so I will. We have a plan, and I know that means that I will be able to quit my job relatively soon, so I don’t have to feel so desperate to have something full-time in order to resign my current position. It’s coming. So while a full-time teaching job a mere six miles from home would be nice, I’m okay with waiting for something else.
God knows better than I do, anyway.