RSS Feed

Week Eight

So I’ve been totally excited to resume exercising.  I’ve become a bit of a fanatic about it, in fact.  Despite a 10 hour work day, I love spending an hour or so at the gym in the evening, and I like going on weekends, too.

But last week, that silly two-day sleet-fest ruined my plans.  Tuesday, the clinic where I work was closed, and we spent the day huddled in the house, preparing for the worst.  The worst (power outages, burst water pipes, etc.) never came, and by late afternoon I was already jonesing for a cardio workout.  Unable to leave the house, I settled for some free weights and Pilates.

The office manager called me Tuesday evening and said to stay home on Wednesday as well, as the roads were supposed to get even worse.  By then, having taken a rest day on Monday and having had a less than satisfactory workout on Tuesday, I thought I might go crazy without some activity.  I was willing to brave the roads to go a mile and a half to the YMCA.  But I figured I ought to call first to see if they were open.

No luck with the one in my town.

No answer at the one five miles from home.

Nothing at the one eight miles away.

So I had to while away my time some other way.

Thursday, things were getting back to normal.  The roads still had ice ruts, but the clinic was open and so was the Y.  In an attempt to make up for lost time, I spent an hour on the elliptical machine.

Yeah, that might have been pushing it a bit.

I came home and iced my foot for the rest of the evening, but even so, my foot felt swollen and sore on Friday.  Still, Friday evening I went back to the gym again.  Dr. Herbst had assured me that even if I overdid things, “You’re not going to hurt it.  You’re just going to hurt.”

Was it foolish of me to take that as permission to do as much as I could possibly tolerate?

Nonetheless, Friday I scaled back.  A half hour on the bike and a half hour working on upper body strength, and I was ready to go home.

And ice my foot again.

I’m still limping more than I’d like, and I feel more swollen that I’d prefer.  Maybe that’s due to my workouts.  So I’m a little torn — the exercise keeps me sane, but is it preventing me from healing as quickly as I could?

Still, I am only eight weeks post-op, and last time I wasn’t doing any running until at least eleven weeks.  So I’m probably okay.


About Karen Koch

I like the old-fashioned lifestyle. All this new-fangled stuff baffles me sometimes. I cherish living out in the country, raising chickens and rabbits, planting fruit trees, and enjoying a slow life filled with beautiful words and ideas. I don't always achieve a slow life. I teach middle school English and manage a little burgeoning farm with my husband, and somewhere in the midst of that, I try to find time for writing, running, knitting, reading, and playing the ukulele. And sometimes, I actually succeed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: